Local Storage seems to be disabled in your browser.
For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Local Storage in your browser.
Il Colle, Brunello di Montalcino
And just when you thought the last of the exceptional 2012 Brunellos were gone, here are a few facts about this Tuscan beauty that you should know:
1) "2012 is not a vintage to miss for fans of Brunello di Montalcino." James Suckling
2) Il Colle is one of the clearest expressions of Sangiovese being made today. Il Colle employed revered consultant Mont Giulio Gambelli, who is known as the Legend of Montalcino as well as "il grande maestro del sangiovese." Decanter
3) Who else did Gambelli help propel to fame? Montalcino’s elites, Soldera and Montevertine (of Le Pergole Torte)! A very small and elite club indeed.
3) Il Colle is a traditionally made Brunello with large casks versus smaller barriques, which means less oak influence and more fruit nuance;
4) With the hype of the 2012 vintage, many other producers were quick to release their 2012 Brunellos capitalizing on the press; however, true to form, Il Colle held this prized vintage back until it was ready for release;
5) The bottom line? This Brunello is simply stunning:
Aromas of ripe, dark-skinned berry, underbrush, tart cherry, tobacco, leather and floral notes. With an elegant palate, this wine provides crushed cherry, raspberry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished, velvety tannins.
At $500 per bottle, you may need a special occasion to pour Soldera. However, at $45, all you need is the weekend.
THE MERCHANT'S MARK
94 / 100
Aromas of ripe dark-skinned berry, underbrush, tart cherry, tobacco, leather and floral notes. An elegant palate, this wine provides crushed cherry, raspberry, cinnamon and white pepper alongside polished, velvety tannins.